Monday 14 January 2019

Repairing a Behringer DSP9024

I have a Behringer DSP9024.

For those unfamiliar with the unit, it can be considered a "poor mans Optimod" as it does split band audio dynamic range reduction.

While I wouldn't consider it suitable for use before an A.M. transmitter, for taming audio before a web stream it is ideal, and that's what I use mine for.

Unfortunately it broke with what I now know is a common failure mode (all the lights on the front panel flash and it "hangs" half way through booting).

A google suggested that the PSU capacitor C65 which seems to do a logic rail is the common fault. It is 16V/2200uF and mine looked like it might have been previously replaced.

I replaced it with a recommended 25v/3300uF and to my great relief the Behringer DSP9024 is mended.

Even now, a second hand replacement would cost £80 on eBay and there is nothing obvious for less than 4 figures that would do a similar job. Behringer make a 2 band unit but I suspect the DSP9024 does a better job (if less easy to set up).

The perfect unit would be a combination of the Behringer DSP9024 and a Shoutcast server.

Orban make something like that but it costs about £5k.

Anyway, the Behringer DSP9024 is mended for now.

Good luck if yours breaks.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic!!! I have 2 of these units, both with the same issues. I think this just might be the fix to get these back on line. Thanks SO MUCH for this post. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete