Saturday 16 May 2015

T Mobile 6 Month Web - Fair Use Policy

Probably the best value, relatively low use Pay As You Go mobile data deal in the UK is the T Mobile 6 Month Web offer.

You get this by texting "6MONTHWEB" to "441" with a T-Mobile PAYG SIM with at least £20 credit on it. It takes the £20 and gives you data for 6 months.

The data included seems to be a little ambiguous, you get 1GB but can use more subject to a "Fair Use Policy".

I don't have a problem with this but had difficulty in finding out what the Fair Use Policy is.

I've now found:

"This Booster comes with a fair use policy of 1GB a month. We'll monitor how much you send and receive each calendar month so that we can protect our network for all our customers"

I had a heavy month on the Internet use and had a text to say I was at 80% of the Fair Use Policy and another when I reached 100% and a link which didn't work due to the merging of the EE, Orange and T-Mobile websites. The Internet connection may have gone slower or stopped working at that point (but this is a little hard to tell as sometimes the T-Mobile internet does that anyway !).

I had used more than 1GB but since I was counting by the month based on buying the offer not the calendar I don't know how much.

I've now set the phone data counter to be calendar month so if I get towards the unpublished limit I can work out what it is.


10 comments:

  1. Interesting. I bought a 6monthweb booster in October and have used more than 1GB a month since then but not had any warnings. Despite searching T-mobile's website I could not find anything about limitations on data. Are you sure this fair use policy of 1GB a month is still applied? Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duncan, yes. I got an 80% warning text (seemingly at 1.2GB) and a "Fair Use Policy Exceeded" text at 1.5GB. At that point downloads seemed to be limited to 500kb/s (in many cases given the network performance not much of a cap) but uploads seemingly un-capped.

    I've seen the 1GB "Fair use policy" mentioned in the past but can't find a reference to it now.

    With the end of T-Mobile as a UK brand I see this 6 Month Web deal ending before long and everyone being moved to the EE offers (which are not dreadful) instead.

    I also buy the 6GB 3 month 4G SIMs for a MiFi (and I've had a few "free" 100GB SIMS). THis may be the future for cheap mobile data.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes this has to be the best internet booster out marketas I've used it for over 2year and upload and s download has been great even through I've used my 1gb data still seem that u can download and stream

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes this has to be the best internet booster out marketas I've used it for over 2year and upload and s download has been great even through I've used my 1gb data still seem that u can download and stream

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never managed to get to the point where EE (T-Mobile) stop me using data.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never managed to get to the point where EE (T-Mobile) stop me using data.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why the moment i an unable to renew my 6 months. message appears saying due to technical issues, try again later. been like that for two months now, but the monthweb for £5 was fine. so i tried the other way buying six month booster thriving the app. Select the six months then says confirm to buy 6 MONTH £20 MONTH DATA, WHY SAY A MONTH SO I CANCELLED. CONTACTED EE TMOBILE gave me a number to ring tomorrow. Perhaps it no longer exists.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it still works. I used Text 6MONTHWEB to 441 after topping up £20 on 1 August 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have they lowered the data allowance too? I'm getting the 80% usage warning a lot earlier each month now.

    ReplyDelete