Tuesday 11 January 2011

Fixing a faulty Netgear DG834G

We seem to have problems with broadband routers.

I've had 3 break.

The Linksys broke with the "classic" wired port not working fault due to overstressed capacitors around the PSU area within the unit itself. I chucked that one as I saw little chance of replacing all the capacitors without breaking the board.

The 3Com that replaced it eventually had a failed "brick PSU" and had a number of other aspects I wasn't over pleased with so I bought a Netgear DG834G.

The Netgear has been generally fine but when moved it wouldn't start working again. A bit of a Google (combined with the number of online sellers of Netgear PSUs) suggested that it was the PSU.

A few pounds spent and the Netgear has a new PSU and is working fine.

So if you have come here by Googling "Netgear DG834 lights up but doesn't work" or similar. It is worth buying a replacement power supply, it is likely to be the fix you want.

I understand the original PSU goes a bit low output which is how the unit seems to work but just doesn't.

Best of luck !

No comments:

Post a Comment