Saturday 27 November 2010

Free unlock codes for Orange San Francisco (AKA ZTE Blade)

I'm still very pleased with the Orange San Francisco Android phone but I'm a little less pleased with the Orange data charges and I'm considering getting a foreign SIM for when I go to France on holiday so I was interested in getting the phone unlocked.

There were various cheap unlocks on ebay but I came accross a link to a free unlock code generator site.

http://www.nextgenserver.com/calculator/

I put in the IMEI code and it generated an 8 digit number.

I put a Vodafone SIM in the Orange San Francisco and it asked for an unlock code. I entered the 8 digit number and the phone was unlocked and registered with Vodafone.

I've yet to get the data connection working on Vodafone as it was just an experiment and that SIM doesn't have cheap data on it.

The lack of APN settings (I guess) prevented the phone from signing in with Google for the mail and it complained about that.

When I have a SIM with data that I actually want to use I'll experiment with APN settings. There were none in the list with the Vodafone SIM in so I guess the Orange APN settings come with the SIM.

When I put the Orange SIM back in everything worked but I had to enter my Google password again.

I've seen no signs as yet of any malware on the PC as a result of my visit to http://www.nextgenserver.com/calculator/ if there prove to be any issues I'll update.

No comments:

Post a Comment